It’s common that after a certain age you loose some bone density, but for a high number of people this loss can be much higher. Osteoporosis is a disease that’s based on bone loss, as well as bond density loss or tissue.
It should be common knowledge that you can prevent this disease with your diet, with Calcium, because this is essential for healthy bones and also growth. Your body looses calcium everyday, that should be replaced by the intake of food.
The quantity of Calcium you daily need depends on your age:
– Adults over 50 years old –> 1200 mg a day
– Adults 19 – 50 years old –> 1000 mg a day
– Children 9 – 18 years old –> 1300 mg a day
– Pregnant women –> 1200 mg a day
– Breast Feeding women –> 1300 mg a day
However, most people get only half of this daily necessities.
Products like milk, yogurt, cheese and some frozen desserts are the most important and known sources of calcium, containing 300 mg or more in just a single cup. But you have also other types of important sources, like:
– Sardines, Salmon
– Vegetables (some of them, like leafy greens)
– Calcium-fortified foods (ej. orange juice and cereals)
Eat and Prevent Osteoporosis28 03 2011